Newman has many student activities! Consider joining any of the following:
- BLIND (Building Lasting Impressions that Never Die) Newman Catholic has a youth organization that is unique in its charter because it not only includes our own junior and senior student leaders it is also inclusive of our surrounding public school junior and senior leaders. BLIND stands for Building Lasting Impressions that Never Die, an acronym that was designed over 10 years ago. The purpose of this organization is to create lasting friendships with other schools and help tear down racism, bullying, hatred, and other issues that plagued our youth today. The group was developed originally by Sterling High School and Newman Central Catholic High School in hoping to bring the two schools closer together. Since then we have expanded to include Rock Falls High School, Dixon High School, and have helped develop pilot BLIND groups in Byron and our feeder schools. We have yearly summer retreats for the Student Leaders, and yearly fall retreats for the freshman of all schools included. We know we cannot change the world but we try to make a difference in our own communities and hope that it spreads through stewardship and good will from our foundation of morals and ethics. For more information please feel free to contact Mr. Gary Velasquez or Mrs. Debbi Kelly.
- Envirothon - This is a competition based activity that teams compete against other schools based on five categories of environmental information that includes forestry, aquatics, wildlife, soils, and a fifth wildcard category that varies each year. Students can earn scholarship money and go on to compete at state or nationals. If interested, please see Mrs. Verdick.
- Liturgical Choir - This is not the regular choir class. Liturgical Choir sings at all masses and meets during homeroom. See Ms. Huffstutler.
- Key Club - Key Club is an international student-led organization that provides its members with opportunities to perform service, build character and develop leadership. Newman's Key Club is sponsored by the Sterling Kiwanis Club. Meetings are held twice a month in the morning at 7:30. See Mrs. Davila. SSSssS
- Math Club - See Mrs. Say.
- Musical - See Mrs. Whitney and Ms. Huffstutler.
- National Honor Society - This is more than just an honor roll. The Honor Society chapter establishes rules for membership that are based upon a student's outstanding performance in the areas of: Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character. If you are interested please see Mrs. Hannan.
- Scholastic Bowl - See Mrs. Propheter.
- Shooting Stars - See Mrs. Susie LeMay.
- Student Council - Student elected committees that organize events, fundraisers, school improvement, and homecoming events. If interested please see Mrs. Whitney or Miss Rashid.